The observatory is a pre-booked event. This can be done online or by phone:
Phone number: 0191 265 5510.
The observatory is closed to access during the day, you can walk to it and around it. But not during scheduled events.
We are the closest site to the observatory.
It will take you 20 minutes to drive from site to the observatory car park.
1 hour to walk. 40 mins [Approx] to cycle, uphill.
After turning off the C200 main access road, the route to the observatory is via a forest track suitable for most vehicles. [This includes motorhomes and campers.] It is approximately a one and a half mile uphill drive to reach the observatory car park. We do not close or lock our campsite gates which facilitates the late return of our guests. We ask our observatory guests to respect other campsite visitors on their return to site. Dip your lights, no slamming doors or loud voices please.
We have hosted observatory visitors for many years now. Find below a number of points you may wish to take into account:
- When booking it is not always best practice to have a long drive to Kielder on the same night of the event.
- Walking to the event is fine, it's the late night walk back that can be a bit of a chore.
- Booking two nights on the site, with the second night's stay being your planned observatory visit. You have the opportunity to relax prior to the event.
- Remember that booking a summer holiday observatory event is not the darkest of nights.
- We have a lot of rainfall here, hence the reservoir, rain requires clouds.