The observatory is a pre-booked event. This can be done online or by phone:
Phone number: 0191 265 5510.
The observatory is closed to access during the day, you can walk to it and around it. But not during scheduled events.
We are the closest site to the observatory.
IF YOU ARE VISITING THE OBSERVATORY DURING YOUR STAY PLEASE INFORM THE SITE MANAGER. THIS ALLOWS HIM TO PASS ON OUR SITE PROCEDURE FOR LATE DEPARTURES TO THE OBSERVATORY AND FOR LATE RETURNS INFORMATION.
It will take you 20 minutes to drive from site to the observatory car park.
1 hour to walk.
40 mins [Approx] to cycle, uphill.
After turning off the C200 main access road, the route to the observatory is via a forest track suitable for most vehicles. [This includes motorhomes and campers.] It is approximately a one and a half mile uphill drive to reach the observatory car park; it is a large car park and will be able to accommodate most large vehicles. There are no height restrictions. We do not close or lock any gate to Kielder Campsite.
There will always be access to the site after any Observatory event. On your return to site, please respect your neighbours: dip your lights, refrain from slamming car doors or loud voices please.
We have hosted observatory visitors for many years now. Find below a number of points you may wish to take into account:
- When booking it is not always best practice to have a long drive to Kielder on the same night of the event.
- Walking to the event is fine, it's the late night walk back that can be a bit of a chore.
- It is advantagous to book two nights on the site, with the second night's stay being your planned observatory visit. The first night you settle in, allowing time to relax and enjoy the event next evening.
- Remember that booking a summer holiday observatory event is not the darkest of nights.
- We have a lot of rainfall here, hence the reservoir, rain requires clouds, it may be cloudy when you visit.
- During the autumnal, spring and winter event timings.....don't forget the extra suitable clothing to keep warm.